History of the Alexson Apartments
The Alexson Apartments
The Alexson was originally built in 1880 as The Letson Huse, an elegant resort. In 1909, a new wing was added and the entire building was encased in brick. From that time, it was successfully operated as a hotel until the current owners, Virgil and Jeanne Batesole, purchased the property in 1977 and renovated the building for apartments
A major remodeling project changed the interior of the building to a decor reminiscent of the Victorian era. Decks were also added to the front and rear of the building, affording many tenants the chance to enjoy an outside living space as well.
The Belmont Apartment
Built in 1917, The Belmont was the first apartment building in Alexandria, designed in the Craftsman style of architecture.
The Belmont was acquired by the Batesoles in 1999 and was extensively remodeled, preserving the Craftsman style of the building and its units. It is currently listed on the National Registry of Historic Buildings.